I hope, you agree with me that we are A-list actors in our own production where we alone reserve the right to choose the direction to follow. We, me included, are guilty of worrying about our weight and body image because women across the globe struggle with this issue due to limited knowledge, inadequate support and resources, making it difficult to fully understand the issue. The media certainly don’t help. Yes ladies! I would like to have a conversation about the worries and concerns about weight and all that is associated with it. I can’t begin to tell you how many times women, more often than men, of all ages have approached me as a nutrition and health educator and counselor. Many women I have spoken to would like to know the ultimate secrete to weight loss. They want to find the magic pill or diet that will melt all the fat away and turn their bodies into a fat burning machine. The major concern, aside from plummeting metabolism and a myriad of health conditions, I found time constraints to be at the top of the list! What I often hear is “I don’t have time! I have children and work full time! I have school, band or debate team practice and work. I just seem to be packing on pounds every year. What should I do?” The list goes on and this alone, is enough to frustrate anyone. I know, I know. Trust me ladies! As I’m writing this, I’m thinking about the next 10 topics in addition to relationships issues, other work obligations and endeavors, spiritual and emotional health and the day is almost gone! Notice that as fired up as I am about our conversation, I didn’t mention physical health when in fact it should be at the very top of the list. I mean the first item!! Earth is calling! What are we doing? Ok! Let’s compose clam down and compose ourselves. Shall we? The truth of the matter is enough is enough!! We cannot allow time constraints to win any more! I have thought about it, did the research, and studied it, and would like to share a few simple tips with you. First things first! You will need to add these essential weapons in your arsenal. An easy way to use them is to remember the phrase: BE AWARE
1. Be ready to make the change: No more excuses ladies! Getting healthy entails the realization of being unhealthy or performing an unhealthy behavior. It is virtually impossible to make a lifetime lasting change without having a need to change. So perform a reality check and be honest with yourself.
2. Educate yourself: Consult professionals, ie: Physicians, nutritionists/Registered Dieticians, and if the need arises, licensed psychologist/psychotherapists, read books, peer reviewed articles to equip yourself with the necessary knowledge. Remember, life is precious, so you can’t bargain when it comes to your health and well-being.
3. Acquaint yourself with your strengths and weaknesses: This is vital! Knowing your weakness is just as important as knowing your strengths. Improve your areas of strength without dwelling on your weakness.
4. Work diligently: Your health is important, so you must be careful with it. Use the resources in your environment to be thorough as this will help you in your determination towards achieving your goal.
5. Acclaim small victories: Just like it takes time to arrive at an unhealthy state, it’ll take time regain health and stability. Therefore, it is important to exercise patience and appreciate small changes. For example, moving from a sedentary lifestyle to becoming able to exercise for 30 minutes in one week as an accomplishment. So congratulate yourself!
6. Rest: You deserve it! Even the most efficient machines cannot run 24/7
7. Evolve: Remember! Rome wasn't built in a day! It’s a journey. You must keep innovating, moving, and growing.
That’s it Folks! Try these easy tips and subscribe to let me know how it works out. I wish you all the success in your weight loss journey. Keep smiling and stay positive. Till we talk again!