Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chicken and Wild Rice Butternut Squash Soup



Hi all,

I hope you are doing wonderfully well. I don’t know about you but, I’m constantly on the go. Since I’m a foodie, I like to come up with new ideas on what to eat while I’m out. I get tones of questions about healthy eating on the go but the ultimate question is: To indulge or not to indulge? What not to eat? Which foods to eat to get going and keep on track with a healthy regimen? And how much is too much are questions that usually follow.



My take on this is one word: Moderation.  Food is meant to be enjoyed and shared with loved ones. But more importantly, it is meant to nourish our bodies and promote health and homeostasis. Once I have this understanding, I am able to test new recipes, taste and degust a variety of foods. The idea is to have a balanced meal of nutrient dense foods every time you have. This means having adequate amounts of carbohydrates, protein and fat with every meal. A good vegetable soup could be a great way to open your meal (especially during cold seasons) as it creates the foundation against the tendency to over consume larger quantities of food.

Sometime last November, I had a get together of family members and decided to wear my creative cap in the kitchen. It was colder that day, so I figured, why not have soup? That'll warm things up! On the menu was Chicken and Wild Rice Butternut Squash Soup. It was pretty quick and easy to make and my family loved it. Hint: It tastes even better the next day! Below is the recipe. Why don't you try it and see if you like too! Till we talk again!

Facts: Butternut or Winter Squashes and high in vitamin A and C for stronger eyes and immune system, are a good source of magnesium and potassium to boost muscle function, and a great source of fiber for proper digestion.  Not to mention, they are low in fat and cholesterol!

 


Recipe

Serves: 8                                                    Cooking time: 35 minutes

1cup of diced Yellow onion, minced

4oz of garlic, minced

2lbs of butternut Squash, diced

8 cups of water

1 Can of light Chicken and Wild rice condensed soup

8 Slices of wholegrain bread (optional)

Directions: Add the onion, garlic, and butternut into the water and bring to a boil for 20 minutes. Drain the vegetables, preserving the stock. Transfer the vegetables into a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth. Poor the blend back into the vegetable stock. Add the chicken and wild rice condensed soup and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is white-orange and has an even consistency. Serve immediately into bawls with a slice of wholegrain bread on the side (optional).

Nutrition information*
 
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Calorie: 53 kcal
Amount Per Serving:  8oz
Total fat: 1.6g
  Saturated Fat: 0.5g
  Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
Calcium: 0 mg
Protein: 4.4g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 826mg
Carbohydrate:  28g
  Dietary fiber: 3.8g
  Sugars: 4.1g
Vitamin A: 3814 IU
Potassium: 493mg
Vitamin C: 34mg
 

*Excludes bread slice


Sources:


 http://snap.nal.usda.gov/nutrition-through-seasons/seasonal-produce/winter-squash 
Photo credit: -Self

                     -Wholeliving.com


 

7 comments:

  1. Hum. Sounds yummy. Maybe I'll try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. I'll try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say that I tried it and it was great! I love soups... Do you more recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love soups too. It's good to have the nutritious low-calories options.

      Delete
  4. Great! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I aways stay away from butternut squash. I still don't know how to peel it. This recipe is inspiring me.
    Gotta love a great soup recipe x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! Peeling the squash is a pain!! I might be wrong but think some grocery stores sell peeled and diced squash. Try that and let me know how it goes xoxo!

    ReplyDelete